Sunday, December 2, 2007

Week 12 - Termination and Boredom

I had been wondering when I was going to meet the branch manager at my new location -- and the answer appears to be never... Turns out the fairly long-serving branch manager was fired on Friday, to the surprise of all the staff. Another librarian told me that branch managers at several other locations were fired as well. There's also supposed to be a huge all-staff meeting tomorrow morning downtown. Since I only work Sundays, I wasn't told to attend.

Today, there were three of us librarians on duty. One of them was the head children's librarian at the branch, so it was decided that I could man the children's reference desk while she caught up on some administrative-type work that had fallen by the wayside. That made sense to me, and we chatted a bit as she worked so I could learn a little more about the children's resources and what baselines she expects in terms of behavior and noise by kids in the room.

As is so often the case, some of the computers were down. Basically, people who wanted to use the computers couldn't sign up via the reservation system. Instead, I was able to do it manually from the administrative software on my machine. So, that's basically what I spent the day doing. No one came in looking for anything in particular, no one had any questions, nothing, zero interactions. Just signing kids up for the computers.

Good times.

3 comments:

John said...

Can you recommend/find me any good books on the 1910 union bombing of the Los Angeles Times building?

Sunday Librarian 1 said...

Take a look at this list of references from the Wikipedia page on this incident. It looks like a lot of good stuff there, although it may be hard to track down some of the titles. You can use WorldCat to see what libraries in your area have a particular book.

John said...

Thanks much for this. WorldCat is a great resource that I didn't know about.