Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Week 5 - All Quiet on the Western Front

This was my quietest week yet at the library. I had the following interactions:

  • Showed a patron where we kept the latest issues of the Financial Times.

  • Showed a patron how to make a reservation to use a computer - and where to check to see when it is your turn.

  • Signed up a patron to use the computer with a guest card.

  • Showed a teenaged patron how to use the copy machine.

  • Found a book for a patron on how to improve your credit.

  • Another branch called looking for In the Castle of My Skin by George Lamming. Although we were supposed to have a copy, it wasn't on the shelf. I need to email my branch manager and see how to mark books as missing, because it is very frustrating to come to a branch because the catalog says a book is available and then not have it actually be there.

  • Removed a hold for a customer who had found the book on the shelves. (What responsible library usage on the patron's part! I was so surprised that someone did that.)

  • Showed an early elementary school student where to find "science books for kids". Although she was there with an adult, she came and asked on her own, which was very impressive. I confirmed that she was looking for books on science projects and led her to that section (I actually knew where it was without looking, because I had received a similar inquiry several weeks prior).


And that was it! One computer was still down, but we weren't at maximum computer usage this week any way - a first for me. Also, my phone didn't work for two hours (which I didn't realize until the circulation desk tried to transfer me a call), but unplugging and replugging the phone fixed that. Isn't it great when low tech solutions work?

I'm off next weekend, so I'll post again in two weeks.

No comments: