Thursday, September 13, 2007

Why Sunday Librarians and the NFL Don't Mix Well

One of the things anyone who works on a Sunday might face is that you can't watch football (aka helmetball) live. I'm no longer nearly as big a fan of football as I used to be -- primarily because after years of watching soccer (aka football), NFL games are, by comparison, pretty boring stop and start affairs.

However, I still like to watch the home team, and as I mentioned in my last post, last Friday was the start of the NFL season. Since "the big game" was during library hours, I set the VCR (yes, VCR not DVR) and trundled off to work. Watching the game later with the ability to fast-forward through commercials and any dead spots in the game is actually pretty ideal. However, the problem is that you have to make it home without learning the outcome of the game...

And the reason I bring this up is that the circulation staffer sitting 30 feet away from me had the game up on the circ desk computer as soon as he got in. Seeing this, we talked about the team's prospects a while and then I told him I was recording it and to please not say anything about the game. Alas, over the course of the day he spent a good portion of any dead time on his cell phone talking to buddies about the game's progress in tones just loud enough for me to catch every fourth word. Then, at the end of the day, he completely forgot and recapped the game for a patron right near me.

So...opening day spoiled... Just one of the hazards of being a Sunday Librarian!

Postscript: I did still end up having the game on while I worked on assembling a small bedside table from Ikea. That thing was a nightmare, it had more parts than any Ikea item I've ever bought! Turns out that taped NFL is a pretty good match with annoying Ikea assembly tasks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first thought upon reading about the circ staffer watching teh game was... what is he doing watching a game and talking on his cell all day at work? Is this par for the course? (It is if the circ folks at my last local branch are any indication.) I would also love ot know if the sound on the game was on. Perhaps I am being uppity, but.... that would have infuriated me all day. Would be interested to read more comments on such things in the future....

Sunday Librarian 1 said...

During my "training" my branch manager said that personal phone calls while on the desk were a no-no for all staff. The only thing she said about computer use was no to do anything you wouldn't want someone else to know about. That said, she was there the whole day while he had the game on (no, the volume was not on) and was talking... And on the other days I've been in, the circ staff certainly have no shame about cruising the internet (gmail, myspace, etc.), so it seems pretty par for the course.